Thursday 5 August 2010

My first day in Siem Reap

Visiting Angkor Wat has been one of my dream. Don’t know why but just looking at the pictures of this place gave me the excitements and thrills. Maybe because it was once called The Lost City plus the fact that my favourite show, Tomb Raider was filmed here. I originally plan this trip to Siem Reap solely to visit Angkor Wat. Little did I know I found another experience that will stay with me for a very long time.


Anyway, I flew to Siem Reap via Air Asia (my fav airline) with my dear friend Linda on Oct 16th. Upon arrival at Siem Reap airport we were greeted by the tour guide, Dina and a driver as we have booked a half day tour. This is something that I don’t normally do but we arrived at 8am and don’t think the hotel is ready for us to check in yet.


The first peculiar thing that happened which is also the first I have experienced with a tour guide is when he asked us where we would like to go for the 5 hours. I was like, WTF??!!?? How am I supposed to know where to go? Isn’t this supposed to be his job?


He then suggested to go to Tonle Sap Lake. Frankly I wasn’t at all enthusiastic about this. Having travelled quite a fair bit in SEA, riding another boat in another smelly mud river is not something I am keen to do. But since he said there is really nothing to see in Siem Reap town as we ruled out all the semi precious stone factory or craft centres, we finally gave in to pay USD20 per person for the 45 mins boat ride.

This is us in the boat. Notice we are sitting on rattan chairs on top of the boat for USD40!!! OK, this is really funny cause we thought we’re gonna be swinging left and right during the ride. Surprisingly, it was quite stable.

After riding for about 10 mins, we asked Dina why is there road sign in the middle of the lake?


Guess what? We are not at Tonle Sap yet. We’re actually witnessing what they called the flooded village / forest! You see, from June to October, it is rainy season and the water from the Tonle Sap overflows to flood the villages and forest nearby! OK, this is one thing I have never seen before.


Anyway, while I was in the flooded village, I felt a sense of sadness. Life is very harsh here. Villagers here are fishermen for generations and live, eat, work in the same small boat. Kids were hopping from boat to boat trying to sell us bananas or cold drinks for little money. While we dock at one of the bigger station, there are a few kids who were swimming in the water playing with snakes (yes, real snakes) just to amaze us to get a dollar or two. Sad, makes me reflect how lucky I have been.


OK, this pix is taken at Tonle Sap Lake which is the largest lake in SEA. I have no idea it is this huge, talk about ignorant! It looks like a bloody ocean.

After the Tonle Sap visit, we head back to Siem Reap town. Linda, the avid shopper was pressing Dina where to shop. He then drops us at the Center Market and said he will be back after 1 hour. We finished looking in like 5 mins! No wonder there was only 2 miserable gwailo here. We should have gotten the hint ... shame on us.
OK, let’s head to lunch so we can go back to hotel and sleep to get us ready for the templing adventure tomorrow.




Location: Siem Reap, Cambodia
Next, The great city of Angkor