Friday 8 June 2012

Food and the city

So many people I know goes to Canton all the time. Like they go again and again and again. So out of curiosity, I took a short 4 days trip during the school mid year holiday to one of the most populated city in China amongst the likes of Shanghai and Beijing.

I don't know since when the name of this city has been changed to Guangzhou (Mandarin) but to me its forever Canton. The first language here is Cantonese just like in Hong Kong and my home city KL.

When I asked my friends what is there to do in Canton, they will say one thing - FOOD. Of course for me this is never good enough, so I also explored a few touristic stuff to do which I will talk about in coming blogs. For this blog, lets talk about food, oh glorious food.

Why people always connect food with this city is because Cantonese cuisine is probably one of the best Chinese cuisine you can find. It is not too spicy (like Szechuan) or too bland (like Hakka). So, where can we go for food in Canton. Not sure if this is the best way, but first we explore the street food, meaning those food that locals eat.

For that, we need to go behind alleys and the rougher parts of the city. Endure the mix of foul drainage smell and the aroma of freshly cooked food. Such confusion.

We did tried their rice and dishes, tong sui dessert and some cakes and sorts. Dunno about the rest, but I'm not a fan of street food. Sorry.

This chicken rice on the other hand is a delight. Served in a normal clean and proper small eateries, its a good treat for my son who as any Malaysian, eats nothing but chicken rice.

Or this Chee Cheong Fun stall that is so crowded every time we walk past, it is full of people queuing for it. Of course the picture of 'the most famous food critic Choy Lan right in front helps a lot.

Next is of course really good Cantonese food in a nice restaurant. I am beginning to feel the love for the food in this city.
Dish of veges and taufu ... vegetarian dish has never been this tasteful
Fried egg in some very delicious sauce
OMG the mother of all roast pork!  Another one please.

Cantonese food will never be complete without Dim Sum. It is like the official breakfast for Chinese all over the world today.

 We went to the Four Season Dim Sum Restaurant. OK, we can't read all the flowery name of the dish, captain please!

Ca Leong, one of the best I've eaten apart from Melbourne
Ha Kaw
Siew Mai with a twist
Pai Kuat
Siew Loong Pau
Of course it does not mean that all the food in this city is good. We have our fair share of totally tasteless food too.

Pork noodles, totally tasteless and bad


Location : Guangzhou, China
Next, The tomb of a king and the ancestral hall of the Chen