Thursday 4 March 2010

A cool December in Chiangmai

Yes, this is me and my pre-school son in the mini airplane seat. We flew 3 hours from KL to Chiangmai in Thailand for a short break in December. OK, its not that bad. Afterall, without Air Asia, I wouldn't have thought about just going off on a holiday to Chiangmai. So, my son practically sleeps through the entire journey which is sort of a blessing in disguise. My arm is aching but at least the other passengers in the airplane do not have to endure my son's ever talking and screaming voice.


Since we got a mega good deal from Air Asia for the cheap flights, we decided to get a better hotel. We checked into the Manathai Village which is a boutique hotel strategically located just behind the main street (Tarpae Road). It has only 29 suites and apparently these family run hotel are the best way to experience the lanna culture. For USD100 per night, I must say the size of the suite + breakfast + their overall service is commendable.
This is the main bedroom at Manathai Village
The king size bed


I didn't have the chance to take a picture, but if you happened to be in Chiangmai on a Sunday night, you must not missed their Sunday Night Market located at the Chiangmai gated city. Although I have been to countless night markets in Bangkok or other SEA countries, I still find this night market interesting. There is a lot of genuine local handicraft souvenirs that is very unique and prices are also extremely good. Its so good that half the time, I didn't even have the heart to bargain further. Only set back is that it is just so crowded I guess every single tourist in Chiangmai are there on a Sunday night.


Chiangmai is a northern province of Thailand that is located on highest mountain in the country. That is why on December, the average temperature is between 20-30 degrees.


What amazes me is that the original Chiangmai City is a very old ancient city, build around moat and high walls. Up till today, the moat is still around and part of the high walls and 4 main gates is still well preserved.


We skip most of the templing in the city and opt to walk around the city just to soak in the atmosphere. Overall, I would say that the Chiangmai is a very pleasant and cooling experience.







Location : Chiangmai, Thailand
Next, Up in the hill in Chiangmai