Thursday 18 March 2010

The wild side of Chiangmai

On the day before we left Chiangmai, we found what probably would have been the gem of interesting things to do in Chiangmai. Driving or rather driven for about 60 minutes from downtown Chiangmai, we finally arrived at the Maesa Elephant Camp.




Here at the Maesa Elephant Camp, you can feed, stroke and ride the elephants by paying more on top of the entrance fee. Before you scream 'tourist scam', the proceeds will go to fund on the preservation and training of the elephants. So, it is for a good cause.


I just couldn't help but find that the word 'camp' is hilariously funny and appropriate for this place. Home to maybe about 50 or more rescued elephants, this camp trains the elephant to do all sort of things you could never have imagine. They could of course do the circus stunts like parading in a circle, swinging their trunks, standing on two legs and even playing football. Fun to watch but what is about to take my breath away is that the elephants here actually draws ... really!


If I didn't see with my own yes, I wouldn't have believe it
The accuracy of their strokes and drawings put my preschool son to shame
Look at this pot of flowers, just amazing
OK, as I'm continued to be amazed by the talent of these elephants and about to purchase one so that I can remind my son that the elephant draws better than he does, I realised it cost BHT2000 for one!!! OK, that push it a bit way too much don't you think? So, I just took the picture of it and I can still remind my son the same.
After we got out of the elephant camp, we asked our driver to bring us to a shooting range at Maesa. Boon and me shared a fifteen shot package. I just want to try out the hand gun. So, I pulled 5 shots and Boon pulled 10. Missed 3 but managed to get a hang of it after that. See where my last two shots got to … quite near the target eh?


Location : Chiangmai, Thailand

1 comment:

  1. Amazing! Another place to visit with my kids during our stay at Chiang Mai hotels this July.

    ReplyDelete