Saturday 10 July 2010

Seeing Dubai through the Dhow Cruise

Dhow means a traditional wooden Arabian yacht or boat. I mean hearing the prospect to be able to cruise in a traditional Arabian yacht gives me the vision of the exotic Arabian music, with belly showing maiden with clinking sound of bells worn over her transparent face cover, serving Arabian tea while I smoke the bubble whatever while cruising on the river looking out at the mystical Arabic scenery ... STOP! OK, yeah, that's really day dreaming getting out of hand.


So OK, we have reached the Creek Walk which is like an esplanade in the middle of the town. Quite beautiful I must say. So my mood is getting a little better until I saw the 'Dhow'.


Ladies and gentlemen, this is the dhow

OMG OMG OMG, I thought I’m going to die of boredom. This smelly crappy ‘Dhow’ is moving so slow I almost thought it has come to a stand still. It took like 60 mins to cruise along the Dubai creek (what, like 5km) and back. Well, you do the math. And get this, if you want refreshment, you gotta pay for it. Really not impressed. But since I'm at it, I might as well try to catch some photos via the gap of 20 other tourist in the small dhow.


This is the more modern building we can see from the Dubai Creek. Apparently this Dubai Creek is UAE's most famous waterway where sea merchant has been trading goods for centuries. How did I know? Instead of the Arabian Music which I have envision it to be, there's a voice booming from the speaker giving commentary about the creek. Yeah, I think you can picture that.


OK, so we also sort of get to see the more traditional building via this Dhow Cruise. Gotta say this part of the town is more interesting for me.


Although our dhow is crappy, we're still luckier than this bunch of people I supposed

OK, something good did come from the Dhow Cruise. We chat with a fellow Kiwi traveller and he told us not to waste time on the red route cause if we want to see all the mega projects and awe inspiring infrastructures, it is via the blue route. Damnnnn … let’s go!




Location : Dubai, UAE

Next, Seeing Dubai via blue route