Saturday 3 July 2010

Seeing Dubai via red route

Technically, I only spent one precious day in Dubai. Although I flew in from Amman to Dubai the night before, it is way too late to explore anything except to have dinner and sleep. So, the wisest thing to do, which also probably is the most budget way to explore the city is by Big Bus City Tour.


For USD60 per person, you can hop in and out the entire daylight (cause night tour requires a different ticket). They have the red route and the blue route but seriously, have I known better, I would go for the blue route first and only if I have time will I go for the red one. Ah well, too late to feel sorry for myself now.

Anyway, first thing the next morning, we woke up early and excited ready to explore the most fascinating and fastest growing city in the world (well used to be). We board the Big Bus at the Deira City Centre.


This is the older part of Dubai far from the glitz and glamour of what Dubai is well known for


While on the red route we passed by the Al Fahidi Fort which is the oldest building in Dubai but didn’t get down. Where we did get down is at the famous ‘Gold Souk’ stop. Apparently this Gold Souk (Souk means market) is something so special we cannot miss. Let me tell you, after we got down, we didn’t see any thing remotely gold and start asking people, supposedly locals, where is the Gold Souk. They either point us to some back alley with no whatsoever gold or to just shrug their shoulders.


For awhile, this kind of make us excited
Anyway, after searching for 25 mins in the hot scorching desert weather of 40 degrees, we saw two foreigners and ask them. So, here we are!

Hmmm, how should I describe this. I read that there's like 200 goldsmiths in this Gold Souk, but really its like once you see one, you've seen all. I think you get what I mean. So unless you're really thinking of buying some gold, its really a bad choice to stop here.

Inside the gold souk
The design here doesn't suit my style, so no shopping
Maybe he's wondering if we should go to the bikini souk instead of this one

After the Gold Souk disappointment, I have more disappointments to follow. The ‘Murjan Discovery Walk’ and the ‘Arabian Treasure Walk’ which is supposed to be incorporated in my USD60 Big Bus ticket is not available that day ... WTF!!??

By now my mood wasn't very pleasant due to the extremely hot weather and my high spirit was crashing down. So instead of going to the spice souk or whatever other souk, we head to the creek to catch the Dhow Cruise.






Location : Dubai, UAE
Next, Seeing Dubai through dhow cruise