Wednesday 30 June 2010

The Crusader's castle

You see, when we left Jerash and travelled south west to Jordan Valley, we passed by Ajlun. There is a very significant castle in Ajlun called Ajlun Castle which was built by Saladin.

As a big fan of the Crusader history, obviously seeing this castle gives me goosebumps. I'm again seeing history not merely as a story book to read but the fact that it actually happens and it happens right here. But because we do not have the time, we did not make our way to the top of the hill so I just snap a picture from afar in my car.


Now, on my last day in Jordan, after leaving Petra to head back to Amman to catch our plane, we passed by Karak. Karak's ancient name is Moab. Sounds familiar? Yes it is mentioned countless times in the Bible. In Karak, there is also a very significant castle called Karak Castle. This time around, I just have to make a pit stop even if its only for 15 minutes.

Karak Castle is apparently the 2nd largest castle in the middle east. I cannot miss this because this is a truly genuine stronghold crusader! I’ve spent countless hours building castle on my computer screen and here I am now standing in one! This castle is built in 1140s by Baldwin which is the opponent of Saladin. The crusaders called this Crac des Moabites. As an ancient Crusader stronghold, it sits on the highest spot in Karak at about 900 metres above sea level.


Look at the spectacular view it offers from the castle. The Crusaders can spot the activities and enemies hundreds of miles away. Just totally speechless to be able to stand right here where the crusaders used to stand guard about 800 years ago.


This is the stairway leading to the castle keep.


Inside the castle, there's huge dome like passageway with strategic openings for archers


This stopover in Karak has truly quenched my thirst to have a final journey into history itself for this trip. Everything seems true and real. In Jordan, I have a peep into the history of humankind, what we have build, what we have gone thru, what we have become. We reap what we sow. Truly the history of the civilization as we know it all started from the Middle East and then spread out into the world.
Location : Karak, Jordan

p/s For someone that is a history buff and ruin gawker, a trip to Jordan is truly an experience of a lifetime. Truly what I have see and feel for a week's journey is worth so much more than what I have read in thousand of pages over the years. Jordan, I will come back.


Location: Karak, Jordan
Date of travel : May 2009