Saturday 5 June 2010

Amman, capital of Jordan

I’ve always been a fan of ruins and historic places. Just never thought that I actually have the opportunity to step my foot on Middle East. I flew to Amman as you would have guessed, for business meetings. So for the first 3 days, all we did is work and meetings.


During these first 3 days in Jordan, I stayed in the middle of the business district in Amman and the view from my hotel room shows this. Looks just like any modern city, isn't it.


Amman City in fact is a unique blend of old and new. They have buildings dated back to the Roman Empire era and at the same time haved ultra modern complexes within walking distance. Amman is situated in between the harsh desert and the fertile Jordan Valley, making it very pleasant to stay.


For a typical Asian like me, the uniformed white stone houses really fascinates me greatly. In Asia, the houses or buildings are painted multi coloured but here in Amman, due to the harsh weather, there is really no point in painting the exterior of the building. So the square looking white buildings is really a sight to behold. This is what makes this trip so very special for me. I'm in a whole new world!


As you know, the middle eastern population consist mainly of Arab background. I must admit that my knowledge of the culture and various ethnicity is almost zero when it comes to middle east but I do think most of them have some sort of nomadic blood in them. So while I was there, my customer has brought us to a very unique restaurant that serves 'kebab'. Although the weather is cold (OK, like really cold for me), we have opted to sit at the tent area. This tent are exactly the same you would find of any of the Bedouin tent.


Bedouin is actually one of the ethicity of Arab that mainly still moves around the desert like a nomad. They would rather stay in a tent than in houses offered by the government. The Bedouin's concept is that there are absolutely loyal to their brothers, cousins, tribesmen or even guest. I was told by a Jordanian that assuming you killed someone and somehow managed to make yourself as one of the Bedouin guest, they will protect you to no end.


One of the most famous Bedouin dish and now also Jordanian dish is this Mansaf. Mansaf often symbolizes an occassion such as celebration or welcoming a guest and a Bedouin will go all out to get the lamb to served their guest as a symbol of friendship. Mansaf consists of Arabic rice, a rich broth made from dry sour milk (jameed), and lamb.


Suffice to say, if you are being served this dish when visiting an Arab, you should feel very honoured. In my case, I had it at a hotel. You see, my host in Amman invited two Asians and two Germans to his house for dinner and do not think we will like the Mansaf and if we don't finished the dish, the wife will apparently feel insulted. Good for him that he managed to convinced the wife not to served this dish because I really do not like it (when I tried it at the hotel) and can't see how we can stomach the whole lamb.


What I do like a lot is their super sweet dessert. This Arabic dessert is called Baklava and mainly makes of nuts and syrups and maybe honey too.


I have tried it back home during Ramadhan buffet but the one that I had the chance to eat in Amman is so much sweeter and better and Mmmmm.






Location : Amman, Jordan
Next, The Greco Roman city of Gerasa