Sunday 30 May 2010

Must eat in Macau

I must admit that I am a hopeless blogger when it comes to food. It just never cross my mind to take some pictures everytime something is served on the table. I would like to enjoy the food as it should be. While travelling, food is rather important to me. Not just because I'm hungry from all the walking and all but food is able to tell the culture and way of lives at a certain place. So, I'm attempting here to highlight 4 restaurants / type of food that explains it all about Macau.

Portuguese Cuisine at Fernando's
9 Praia de Hac Sa, Coloane Island
Fernando's restaurant is not only famous in Macau, in fact it is regarded as one of the most famous restaurant in South East Asia. Located in a secluded corner in Macau fronting a beach, I must say it is pretty difficult to go there unless you have a car. Of course, I'm lucky to have my friend Mimi to bring us around at night. This restaurant is situated on a very beautiful scenic brick building and offers a very relax and laid back atmosphere. Serving one of the best Portuguese food in the region, this is a must try when in Macau.

Dim Sum at Hotel Lisboa
2-4 Avenida de Lisboa, Macau
As you probably agreed, Dim Sum is almost like the national breakfast for chinese all over the world. Every corner of the world you go, you will find dim sum as long as a chinese community is present. Although Macau used to be a Portuguese colony, I'm guessing 90% of the population are chinese. Hence Dim Sum becomes something you have to try here and where better place to have it then at the Hotel Lisboa in Macau.

Portuguese tarts at Margaret's Cafe e Nata
Edificio Kam Loi, Nam Van, Macau
Portuguese Tarts or pastéis de natas was created around 18th century by catholic nuns in Portugal. Due to its Portuguese influence, this pastry is found all over Macau. A lot of tourist gets to sample the one near St. Paul's ruins but the best portuguese tarts title belongs to Margaret. I used to like portuguese tarts a lot few years back when one of the bakery in KL introduce them. But once I have my bite of Margaret's version, I guess I will never go back to the rest.

Almond cookies from Koi Kei
Rue de felicidade
Actually I have not a single idea why is almond cookie so famous in Macau. It is so famous that right now this almond cookie probably is one of the main food export of Macau. Like the Portuguese tarts, you can find almond cookies everywhere and in La Senado itself, you probably have at least 10 stalls selling this cookies. This almond cookie is the best souvenier you can find and bring home a slice of Macau with you.

I guess with this blog, it wraps up my travelling experience in Macau. Do not believe the myth that there is nothing to do in Macau apart from gambling. The mix of Portuguese influence, Chinese culture, heritage elements and the fastest growing playground of the east makes this place simply fascinating, unique and a must come in Asia.




Location : Macau
Date of travel : Feb 2009