Friday 7 June 2013

Paya Indah Wetland

2 weeks ago, thanks to my church for organizing a Family Day for the crazy urban rat racers, I managed to explore something that is close to home that I probably wouldn't bother to visit otherwise. It is located in the state of Selangor.


Its called the Paya Indah Wetlands. This wetland is located in Dengkil. I have no idea what wetland even means. Anyhow, it is about 30mins drives from the southern suburb of KL. So it is a place for us to have a short drive and go for a picnic or something. There's nothing much here frankly, but you can go bicycling, bush walking, and also to see the 2 main highlights of the place.

1. The Hippopotamus


OK, I know you get to see this in most zoos but the funny part is that you get to feed them up close. Well, actually the caretaker is supposed to do that but you know Malaysians; we have no regards for rules or safety as long as it is fun.

So we get to see the inside of the mouth of a hippopotamus. Hah! Now that is rare sight isn't it.
And probably if we are so bored, we are up close enough the count the whiskers of the hippo.

2. The Crocodiles
Kolam Buaya means Crocodile Lake
So we get to see quite a fair bit of crocodiles swimming in the lake waiting for their preys or maybe waiting for feeding time. Boy, they have no idea how valuable their skin can be, especially if donning a Birkin ...  oops sorry, where was I?
At then at 12pm, the caretakers come in a trolley of really smelly dead chicken and  starts feeding them.

It seems the highlights of the Wetland involves feeding a lot. I guess the natural instinct of the animals (including human) would come out in display during feeding time. Agree?

Oh yes there is one more highlight of this wetland and I said it is a highlight because when I try to find the location of the wetland to tag in my Instagram, it actually came out ...

3. Paya Indah Observatory Tower


Apparently when you climb to the top of the Observatory Tower, you get to see the entire wetland. But the day was simply too hot and humid and I'm tired and decided to skip the climb. It seems everyone who climbed, came down in like 2 nano seconds so I think I can guess what they get to enjoy up there, haha.

Finally, here are some shots taken at the wetland and you can judge if this is your cup of tea.

 
 

 


Location : Selangor, Malaysia
Date of travel : May 2013