Monday 30 November 2009

Story of a struggling entrepreneur

So, I was in Singapore for a business trip on Monday and Tuesday. Due to my current 'struggling-entrepreneur' status, I searched the web for the pricing range of SGD100-120 per night. My fav hotel, the Gallery has increase their price to a whopping $190 while 2 years ago they are only charging $120 with breakfast. So, then I found this Hotel 81 located in Foch Road that offers $110 nett per night and it is quite near both my meetings. And the picture plasted on the web as shown seems reasonably ok. So I thought why not give it a try since I'm only gonna be there for one night.



So, anyway when I reached the hotel, I knew that this is totally WRONG. But it is already 3.20pm and my meeting is due at 4.00pm. I'm still not dressed. So I got no choice but to checked myself in. When I requested for a non-smoking room, the receptionist told me that it is all non-smoking room and I thought, 'Thank God'.


As I entered my room, I shouted "Non-smoking my ass". The room is so smelly, dingy, crappy and small. I feel so disgusted with the smell, I was flipping my perfume bottle all over the room and bed like I'm performing exorcism with holy water. The so-called bathroom is a cubicle of not more than 12sq feet. So, in other words, if you hang anything in the bathroom, it will be as wet as you are the moment you're done showering.


Anyway, after my shower, I left the hotel for my first meeting. My lift door opens to a couple, the businessman-like carrying a brief case was with a very pretty china-doll with procelain feature and skimpily dressed. The guy was whistling happily and checking me out. I was gonna yell 'Hallo, I'm not a pro, thank you very much'. After my meeting, on my taxi ride back, the taxi driver was lecturing me why I stay in that hotel, that it's not appropriate for me and not safe ... like I didn't know that already by now.


That night, I was shopping in Orchard Road and bought shoes, shoes and shoes to make myself feel better and of course to avoid going back to that hotel as much as I can. That night, I was sleeping with my mp3 player plugged to my ear. I really don't need to hear anything ... you know.


So, anyway if I ever made-it one day as a successful entrepreneur and fly business class and stay in Hilton, this is so going to be in my auto-biography ... and pleaseeeee, don't ever trust those damn websites pictures or 'budget tourist hotel' claim.