Saturday 5 December 2009

Rosebud, Sorrento, Port Sea & Philip Island

Well, this is the journal of my second trip to Australia. The first time around, I went to Queensland where Brisbane and Gold Coast is. This time around, I opted for Victoria.


We landed in Melbourne airport at about 8pm. As usual, we grab our rented car and head to our resort in Rosebud located in Mornington Peninsula. Of course on the way, we passed through Melbourne town and I was a bit excited when I saw the … ehem …


Melbourne Tram! OK, this is like the icon of Melbourne city.
Weather was considerably cold in the month of May, somewhere around 15 degrees. OK, this is like really cold for somebody who live in tropical country where the average weather is like 30 degrees. The resort we are checking in courtesy of my timeshare membership is Nepean Country Club. It is a double storey suite with what I called the “Fish Tank” bathroom.

Great Show! ... if you know what I mean.
First thing the next morning, we stroll along Rosebud village. This village is really beautiful with little cafes along the main street and very accessible to the beach. The resort where we stayed are very popular among locals for a short trip away from the city.


Little bookshop just the way I like it
Although I'm at the beach, I wouldn't dare land even my feet anywhere near the water. As seen, the wind was just so DAMN strong and so DAMN cold.

So the very next thing, I got myself my first Beanie. Apart from the reason that my hair will not be all over my face, this is a good excuse to blend in with the culture.

From Rosebud, we head to Sorrento. This village is a little bit different from Rosebud. It is filled with limestone buildings and a pier that's the hub of activities and the departure point for ferries to Queenscliff, fishing trips, seal and dolphin watching excursions, sight-seeing cruises, yacht charters and diving trips.


Beautiful scenery in Sorrento's Port
Behind me is the ferry which we are supposed to catch to go to Queenscliff for the Great Ocean Road Trip. Since that doesn’t work out, it seems like a picture with it is all I can have.

From Sorrento, we head to the third village - Port Sea. Located at the tip of Mornington Peninsula, this area is famous for its luxury Cliff-top residences, bathing boxes and hotel with expansive beach-side lawn. It's the closest village to Point Nepean and its magnificent walks. Anyway, this is where everybody that is ‘somebody’ will have their vacation home. Something like Hampton’s for the New Yorkers, Port Sea’s for the Melbournians!
Beautiful beach front villas behind me
At about 3pm, we head to Phillip Island to see the ‘apparently’ must see Penguin Parade at sunset. I just think it is a major disappointment.
Why? Because we are not allow to sit on the beach where the penguins will parade in front of you like it being portrayed in the promotional video. We have to sit in a bloody platform where you watch the penguins from hundreds of feet away. For that 2 hours drives and AUD16 per head … let’s just say if anyone ask me about it, I’ll say DON'T GO!


Location : Victoria, Australia.