Friday 1 October 2010

The best rainforest zoo

I have a confession to make. The last time I visited a zoo was decades ago, basically I'm about my son age then. I have been to the zoo a couple of times of course but my memory of the zoo apart from being amazed at how tall the giraffe was, are all the bad things. Like smelly poop everywhere and walking under the hot sun sweating like a pig which was why I've never been back to one all these years.

My son has turned 4 years old recently and many a times, while reading story books to him, I feel kind of bad because other than the dogs and cats which is aplenty everywhere, he has never seen most of the animals. The tiger, the hippo, the monkey or the giraffe is as alien to him as an Avatar!

Last weekend while planning my biz meeting in Singapore which happens to fall on a Friday, I thought why not make it a family short break over the weekend and bring him to the much talked about Singapore Zoo. So, here we are.
Singapore Zoo is apparently the Best Rainforest Zoo. OK, gotta say that as I bought the ticket and enter the zoo, it was nothing like I remember a zoo to be.

Firstly, it is like entering a rainforest jungle. There isn't cages and cages of poor animals being put there for exhibits. In fact I feel like we're visiting them at their natural habitat and saying hello or stealing a peek at their everyday life.

The Singapore Zoo is segmentize into many session / attractions like Primate Kingdoms, Cat Country or Australian Outback. In fact it gives me the feeling like I'm visiting a themepark and trying to covers all these attractions within the short span of time I have.


To give you an idea how huge the Singapore Zoo is ... 


here is the map

And if you're tired from walking, you can always catch the tram that circles the zoo.

It will allows you to catch a breath and enjoy the scenery in the rainforest with the beautiful sights and sound nature has to offer.

OK, among the animals that we get to see here includes:
Tapir
Sun Bear
Warthog
Pygmy Hippo
Otter

Location : Singapore

No comments: