Wednesday 10 February 2010

Surprising Bandung

If you have run out of place to visit or just wanted to have a short break over a weekend for say a 3D/2N stay, try Bandung, Indonesia. Frankly I never thought about visiting Bandung as a holiday destination in the first place. It was really a tag-along trip with Boon who is meeting with his customer for business. I always dream about wanting to be the wife that goes around shopping while my hubby is making money ... a really nice feeling, trust me!


Anyway, Bandung is located in Java island. You can travel by road from Jakarta which will take you about 60 - 90 minutes. Now though, we can now fly directly to Bandung from Kuala Lumpur, thanks to Air Asia. We arrived at Bandung airport at almost noon. Boon’s customer picked us up at the airport and bring us to have lunch in one of the famous local restaurant in the town. We stroll along the street in the main town and find arrays of kuih muih that suits anyone’s taste bud, from salty to sweet.


That night, Pak Afie has been so kind to have brought us to a restaurant called ‘The Valley’ near Lembang. It is located on a hill slope overlooking Bandung town. Food is fantabulous and view is fantastical.

The next day, while Boon attend his business meeting, I begin living my dream as the 'Pretty Woman' that shop around town and what's more I have Pak Afie’s driver with me. Pure fun! I was actually one of the first among my friend to have visited Bandung and hence no one told me that Bandung is full of factory outlets. OK, fact is some of the shops just label themselves as factory outlet although they are not. I found out from Ibu Ratna later that the genuine ones are Rumah Mode, Cascade and Heritage.


For the fashionista out there, don't be overly excited. You can't find Jimmy Choo shoes at half off or anything like that. In fact, most of the brand are very much the middle range like Next or Pumpkin Patch. Yes, these are children's labels but I don't find anything to my fancy apart from the children's clothing.


Paris Van Java complex

I also visited their newly completed mall called Paris Van Java named after Bandung’s nickname, Paris in Java. This mall is trendy but expensive but their architecture are beautiful.


Bandung is also well known for its little cafes and 'kuih-muih' and oh, I didn't mentioned earlier that Bandung is 768m above sea level. Hence the weather is just so comfortable and cooling. Alfresco dining totally makes sense here and the food and cakes is simply fabulous.



Location : Bandung, Indonesia

Next, Gunung Tangkuban Parahu