Friday 5 August 2011

The cat city

To be frank, I was really quite excited prior to my trip to Kuching. I mean I'm going to Borneo for pete's sake. I have been reading histories about this place when I was young about the White Rajah and stuff and so I had this image drawn up in my mind about something very exotic and jungle-ish, you know like Bali in Indonesia. Well let's just say it doesn't quite meet my expectations.


To start of with, I am not even sure why this city is called Cat City? I mean the malay name 'Kuching' means 'cat' but it literally have cats all over the town as if the cats founded this city, you know like Planet of the Apes.


I mean like this Cat Statue in the middle of the roundabout. Isn't it weird that you have cats as statue in the roundabout, you would thought they have statue of leaders, but no, they have cat roundabouts. This is just one of the main one in the centre of the town. So when you cite a location to meet up, don't say the cat statue roundabout because there are many of them. Actually there is also a Cat Museum here but I think I have seen enough cats already to go inside a museum full of more cat statues, so I passed.



Let me spare you the pain of thinking what Kuching has to offer. Everything Kuching has to offer located in the 1-2 km radius of the Kuching Waterfront. If you wanna book a hotel, make sure you're inside this map. Everything historical or monumental is inside this map. Any food that you wanna try can be found inside this map. All sort of souvenirs or knicks knacks of Borneo can be found inside this map. So, just stay inside this map and you're good.
So while in Kuching, something you must not missed, well I supposed you wouldn't missed it anyhow is to go to the Kuching Waterfront. Its basically lined up with stalls facing the Sarawak River. Eat or not is another story because I ate a bowl of fruit rojak and end up sitting in the hotel toilet bowl the rest of the night.


A stroll at the Waterfront in the evening is on the other hand is actually very pleasant. And if you are lucky, you will find this handsome man serenading you with the most soothing tribal music ever. I heard that only very important people in the tribe gets to tattoo their body like this. Its almost like a medal awarded to him, but instead of medal, they tattoo it with certain motifs.

And admist the very undeveloped city of cats, this unbelievably beautiful majestic building stands out like a jewel, especially at night. This is the Sarawak State Legislative Assembly Building.

On the last day I was in Kuching, out of sheer boredom, I stumbled upon a building with a balcony that I can access to get a bird's eye view of Kuching centre and here you go.

The two most beautiful building would be Hilton Kuching and Riverbank Suites.

If you look at the top 5 things to do in Kuching, one of them is the Kuching Heritage Walk which will bring you to this Charles Brooke Monument & The Old Court House. Actually James Brooke is the first Rajah that rules the land of Sarawak during the 1800s and hence begins the White Rajah Dynasty of Sarawak. Charles Brooke took over the Rajah throne after James died.

The Old Court House which probably is the most interesting monument within the heritage walk was completed in 1874. It houses the government here in the 1800s, later converted to a judicial administration building.


The St.Thomas Cathedral is probably the oldest church in Sarawak. Built in 1848 by Rajah James Brooke to spread the Christian faith in Sarawak.


The general post office is built during Rajah Charles Brooke time. Apparently the only greek style portico and corinthium columns in this part of the world.

This is the back street of the main bazaar. Apparently this is the oldest part of Kuching dating back to 1864. Historically, tin-smiths and carpenters congregated here. Now, antique, handicrafts and souvenirs sellers congregated here instead.

One of the thing that I enjoyed most while in Kuching is the food. I don't know why but whichever stall I picked, the food just tasted damn good. Now, while in Kuching, these are the few that you must eat or buy back.

Glorious, oh glorious Sarawak Laksa. OMG so good! I think I ate at least once a day starting from the night I arrived. Must try Must try Must try.

Second must try is Sarawak Kolo Mee. It actually is pretty similar to Hakka Mee but with a different twist. It tasted damn good too.

Sarawak's layer cake is also something that you should either try and if possible buy home. Choose the one with butter ... oh la la.

Finally is the Sarawak Pepper. OK, actually I'm not sure whether its really very good, but the black pepper does smells good and so far I have yet to open the pack and try. There is also another food product that is very famous in Sarawak which is the birds nest being that Sarawak is full of caves. But since it is rather expensive and I don't even know how to prepare them, I passed.


Location : Kuching, Sarawak, Borneo