Monday 20 September 2010

Puppets in the water

I've gotten the impression from Amazing Race that the water puppet show is something that is unique to Vietnam. Actually I stumble upon the information on this puppet show by chance at the Central Post Office. Yes, there is a ticketing booth at the Central Post Office of which I think was pretty smart because every tourist will definitely make a 'pit-stop' here.


When we found out that the ticket is a mere USD6 per pax and my son who is under 5 is going in for free, we just took the chance to watch this show.


Located at the Labour Cultural Palace, the Golden Dragon Water Puppet Theatre is surprisingly well designed.
Although tickets are flat rate of USD6 regardless where you sit in the theatre, you can see the 'stage' or rather pool from every angle in the theatre.

There are 5 musicians sitting on both side of the stage and they play the instrument and sings and make sound effect 'live'.

There are 6 people working behind the stage controlling the puppet all the while soaking in the water (not a dream job for sure). Anyway I took some 15secs video of the show to give an idea what it is all about.


Two dragon puppets

Three dragon boats

Three puppets trying to catch a dragon. Notice the puppet is actually beating the drum, so cute.

The entire show is about 50 mins long but I don't feel it is that long. It is very alive, very cute, even my 4 year old son likes it. So far I would rate it as the best cultural show I've seen in this region. I mean how often do you see puppet dancing in the water? Definitely worth the time to experience it.

This is the finale, 8 puppets dancing simultaneously.


Location : Ho Chih Minh, Vietnam
Next, Christmas in Saigon

No comments: