Sunday 5 September 2010

Beautiful sights in Saigon

I just visited a city of 8 millions population and during peak time 10 millions. Popularly known as Saigon, it has since changed its name to Ho Chih Minh City. Before my trip, I asked my friends what are the things to see here and most of them told me nil, nada, boring. Personally I find it OK though, as I normally like to just stroll around the city, sits at cafe at side street and see the city moves. Anyhow, these are few of the beautiful sights that I managed to capture in District 1.


1. Ho Chi Minh City Hall or Hôtel de Ville de Saigon was built in 1902.
The structure resembles French colonial style marking its history of being a French colony.
Right in front of the City Hall is the monument of Ho Chih Minh which is the first prime minister of Vietnam (I think)
A beautiful pocket park fronting the City Hall

2. The Saigon Opera House
Built in 1901, it is shaped to look like Opera Garnier in Paris. I supposed the French wanted to have a little Paris in Saigon, to remind them of their home.


3. Saigon Notre-Dame Basilica
This is one landmark you have to come. Although you probably find hundreds of the same in France or Rome but there is only one in Saigon.


Built in 1863, this is obviously another French influence architecture
Actually this cathedral is normally not open for public and most of the visitor only get to look at the outside structure. But I happened to be there when there was a wedding ceremony, so .... what else, I crashed the party to catch a glimpse of the interior.
Ladies and gentlemen, this is the hall, grand!
Notre-Dame is famous for its stained glass and so, here are the 4 pieces at the back of the cathedral.
The birth of Jesus (MERRY CHRISTMAS indeed)
Jesus and his disciples (I thinkk)

This statue of Virgin Mary located right in front of Notre-Dame is the infamous statue that was rumoured to have shed tears in 2005. It has caused quite a commotion where everyone comes here to ... you know. Apparently it is not true.
Here is my best artistic shot of the statue in all its glory

4. Saigon Central Post Office
How often do you come across guide books and tourist spot in any country asking you to visit their post office? So, this gotta be one of the most famous post office in the world right? I mean even in Amazing Race (I'm a HUGE fan), the racers are asked to come here.


Well actually it is of course another French marking in Saigon and was here since 20th century.


OK, this is a pretty cool post office, yes?

5. Hotel Continental Saigon

There is no story. I just simply like the facade. You know, just to complete the Parisian feel of this place.


6. Diamond Plaza, Saigon

This department store is just simply beautiful
7. Spring Roll


Trust me, the spring rolls in Saigon is not only a beautiful sight, its the best spring roll that I have ever had [FULL STOP].




Location : Ho Chih Minh City, Vietnam

Next, Not so beautiful sights and sounds of Saigon

No comments: