Friday 6 July 2012

Shop yourself crazy in Guangzhou

In the midst of talking so much about the touristic spots, I almost forgot to rave about the shopping opportunities you should not missed in Guangzhou. The fact is Beijing might have the highest number of foreign visitors as tourist but no other city in China can beat Guangzhou for the number of foreign visitors coming in as buyers. Guangzhou is regarded as the trading centre for overseas buyers. Whatever you wanna buy, you can find a wholesale market for it and the price is shockingly unbelievable.

I did not plan this trip as a shopping trip like I did on all my Bangkok trips but I still steal 2-3 hours a day to explore this side of Guangzhou. Do you know close to 90% of the toys in the world are manufactured in China? Being in the heart of the procurement centre, I wouldn't pass that chance to grab some right?

And grab some we did. This bag of toys cost us USD50!
These Dragon Ball Z Kai figurines cost at least USD10 each in KL but I only paid USD1.60!
This I-phone cover with Swarovski crystal cost USD50 retail in  KL but I only paid  USD7!
OK, I think you get the idea. So if you are not keen on learning about the Guangzhou tombs or ancestral home or seeing Panda, go shop yourself crazy!

Ah, one more place that I think you should go to not so much for crazy shopping but just to get the retail shopping atmosphere is Beijing Lu. You will find the well known Asian brands like G2000, Bossini, Giordano or Uniqlo congregating here. It is a street mall just like Queens Street Mall in Melbourne or Hay Street Mall in Perth. It might not be as cheap compared to the wholesale market since these are mostly branded stuff but I bought a cheongsam for only USD7.50 at shop On Sale!

Beijing Lu
Yishion is a famous local brand
In case you're wondering what is this ...
As they were digging the road for expansion, they found remnants of a street from the  Ming Dynasty.
This is like a new commercial centre on top of the ancient commercial centre!
A lottery gaming stand in the middle of the street mall. Chinese are just gamblers lot.
In the West you have McDonald's, in China you have Kungfu!
I went to Guangzhou and bought something from Giordana Guangzhou.



Location : Guangzhou, China
Next, Shamian Island