Thursday 7 January 2010

Mecca of Sail

Do you know that Auckland is named the City of Sail? Well, because almost everyone has a yacht and sails. So, while we're in Auckland, we just have to visit the Mecca of Sail which is at the 'Princes Wharf and Viaduct Quay'. Why did I named it the Mecca of Sail? Because the most prestigious match race in the sailing sport, the America Cup takes place right here!

During my short stay in Auckland, which is less than one week, I have been to this place for 4 times, yes 4 times!


1st time - I came here because I simply have to come here
2nd time - My customer in Auckland brought me here for dinner
3rd time - My other customer in Auckland brought me here for dinner
4th time - The conference organiser brought me here for dinner


And guess what, for the 3 times I have dinners here, we went to the same restaurant, the Kermadec Ocean Restaurant although there is an array of other restaurants and cafes at the waterfront. Apparently Kermadec is one of the best seafood restaurant in Auckland and that during America's cup, this restaurant is booked weeks in advance as it offers a spectacular view of the ocean where the match took place. Two things I learnt here


1. The Aucklanders are very passionate about sailing
2. The Kermadec restaurant got to be really good, right?


Below are some picture I took at the Viaduct Quay during my first visit there. I simply couldn't bring my hand out from the pocket at night to press the camera during my 3 other visits because the temperature at night plus the cut-to-your-spine-cold-wind from the ocean has way exceeded the cold limit that I can take.


So, if you're in Auckland, you just got to come here.



Location : Auckland, New Zealand

Next, Asians in Auckland