Friday 1 April 2011

Mall-ing in Kuala Lumpur

As I am trying to blog about my home country or city and think about what is there to do here, I can't help but think of 'mall-ing'. Yeah, this is a new vocabulary I'm introducing for things to do in KL. Well, the basic word is Mall. I'm trying very hard to count how many malls are there situated within KL and I really couldn't. I don't think I'm exagerating by saying we probably have close to 100 malls in KL and greater KL.


You see, it is our national pastime during the weekend to go mall-ing. Here in KL, malls give you totally different experience compared to malls (commonly known as shopping malls) elsewhere. The reasons we KLites go mall-ing is because the malls offers an escape from our hot and humid weather and we can spend the whole day inside a mall from dawn to dusk. We don't only shop in the mall. We also eat from brunch to afternoon tea to dinner to supper, watch movie (midnite show is also available), catch a musical or orchestra performing, skating, have coffee tea or even get drunk at clubs, have facial mani-pedi done, have massages, have haircut, exercise in the gym, pay our bills, bring ours kids to indoor playground or themepark, and of course people watching. Do all this without having to get out of the mall. In fact, while we're mall-ing, we can have our car wash too.


As a typical KLite, I of course, will not fail to go mall-ing at least once a week, if not more. So, if you are thinking of coming over to KL for the crazy shopping, here's a few malls that you shouldn't missed.


Suria KLCC
Why am I showing a picture of Petronas Twin Tower? Well, after all my explanations, you wouldn't dare think we don't build a mall here right? In fact Suria KLCC is sandwich between the two towers, cool eh? Well apart from having very huge shopping and dining choices, Suria KLCC also houses the Petronas Philharmonic Hall, the Petronas Science Centre, the Aquaria (a huge aquarium showcase) and KL largest convention centre. Its not like we wanna come mall-ing here, it's really we don't have a choice. Of course, as you walk out of the mall, you can have a very good view of the world's tallest twin tower right at the foot of it and if you want to visit the Central Park of KL, it is right here, the KLCC Park complete with musical fountain. In fact, the above picture is taken from the park.


Pavillion
You can find the most prestigious brand around the world all house in one single mall and it is in Pavillion. Come and be mesmerized by actually how cheap the same thing can be compared to Singapore or Hong Kong.

Mid Valley Megamall & The Gardens
You saw the word Mega right? It is really Mega and to top it off, now you it is connected to The Gardens as well. So you can find anything from middle class to high end labels. This mall is also full of tourists from Singapore. They drive to KL, stay in Cititel or Boulevard hotel which is connected to the mall and just shop and shop. In fact, the Singaporeans met each other here more often than in Singapore itself. OK, I'm saying this based on the few times I accompanied some Singapore guests here and they happened to meet someone everytime. Funny? No, it's just that this is a must-come mall!



One Utama
This is a scary mall, scarily huge mall. Even though I've been here for many times, I still get lost and unless I make it a point to write down exactly where I park my car and which wing I exit from the carpark to the mall, I will never be able to find my car. You see, I don't live in this part of the town and so I don't frequent the mall unless I'm here meeting my friend but I have been told by many visitors that they were so awe-struck and couldn't seems to be able to finish covering the mall at all. So, come here and be lost!



Sunway Pyramid
Located in a suburb called Sunway, this mall is one of the largest suburb mall. Well a close call with One Utama. However, I don't get lost here because I stay 15 mins away and is here every other week. Here, you can find the only ice-skating rink in KL and a lot of popular high street fashion labels. Mostly it is a mall designed for younger crowd as most of the city campus such as Monash and Taylors are located here. Originally the mall is build to resembles the Sphinx Pyramid but maybe due to copyright reason, they changed the structure to a lion instead.


So Happy Mall-ing in KL if you have the chance. And YES, come in December for our YES ... the Year End Sale.






Location : Kuala Lumpur, Peninsular Malaysia