Friday 30 September 2011

Perth City - a little bit of everything

So, why Perth? This is actually my third visit to Australia. I have been to Gold Coast and Melbourne and since I managed to get a flight to Perth direct from KL that is relatively cheap, I thought why not. Just a short break over the weekend with a public holiday in between, I hardly need to take leave at all. The flight from KL to Perth only takes 5 hours and guess what, I'm still in the same time zone! Actually this really surprises me.


Anyway, in comparison to Gold Coast which is full of hype, sunshine and glee-ness, and Melbourne which is so cosmopolitan and classy, Perth seems like a little town. The first day I'm here, admittedly I'm a bit zone-out from the midnight flight, I found myself not impressed at all. It's like "that's all?" But towards the third and forth day, Perth begins to grow into me.

To start of with, I've never been to a city where the public transport is totally FREE. Yes, I mean FREE. It doesn't even cost $1.00 like the ding ding tram in Hong Kong. Its' FREE! So you can hop on hop off, sit from north to south, east to west all you like. This is mighty brilliant. Who needs a car when you can have a clean, frequent and FREE public transport? So to explore the Perth City, forget about renting a car, just hop on the CAT bus.


As you know, exploring a city means that you just walk around, walk and walk and when tired, sit down for a cuppa and then walk somemore. So, I guess I dont' need to explain much, just look at some of the sights I managed to captured.

I just have to add that Hummer Limo or whatever Limo seems to be the ride of the town. I mean I was only in Perth for 4 days and I've seen many of them, roaring the streets at night.
This St Mary Cathedral is a surprise sight for me. It is in the middle of the city but sort of hidden in one corner and I happened to walk right into it. Beautiful!

London Court which apparently is built in 1937 sits right in the heart of Perth City in between all the modern buildings. As you walk into the building, you'll suddenly been transported to the world of Old England. Another nice surprise.


OK, shopping in Perth is kind of dissapointing. I absolutely cannot believe I didn't managed to buy 1 single clothing item while in Perth. Not a blouse, not a dress, not even a short or t-shirt. This almost never happens to me. The only time it happen is always because I'm on a one day business trip. Although they have the Harbour Town factory outlet, those stuff just seems like they're from a decade ago, couldn't bring myself to buy a blouse although it only cost AUD5 for one.

This Bell Tower is so much hype I tell you that I brace the cold wind and rain to take some photos else people might say I've never been to Perth. It is the Perth MUST SEE attraction, like Big Ben in London or Eiffel Tower in Paris. It apparently has 12 St.Martin-in-the-Fields bells in it. I must say I don't know the significant. Actually I am so excited to hear it but guess what, it only rang between 12pm-1pm. So unless you're there at that time, you will just get to take the picture like me and go off. I just think that is silly. Shouldn't they like rang it once an hour so that more people will get to experience the sound of the St.Martin-in-the-Fields bells, no?



Location : Perth, Western Australia